Weekly Updates Aug 5 2018
"You have power over your mind — not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength."
--- Marcus Aurelius
Easy, 10-ingredient vegan fried rice that's loaded with vegetables, crispy baked tofu, and tons
of flavor! A healthy, satisfying plant-based side dish or entrée.
Author: Minimalist Baker
1 hour 15 minutes
Category: Entree, Side
Cuisine: Asian-Inspired, Gluten-Free, Vegan
Freezer Friendly No
Does it keep? 3-4 Days
RICE + VEGETABLES
1 cup extra-firm tofu* (8 ounces yields ~1 cup)
1 cup long- or short-grain brown rice* (rinsed thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup carrots (finely diced)
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce (plus more for veggies + to taste)
1 Tbsp peanut butter
2 -3 Tbsp organic brown sugar, muscovado sugar, or maple syrup
1 clove garlic (minced)
1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce (more or less depending on preferred spice)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional // or sub peanut or avocado oil)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease with non-stick
2. In the meantime wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top (such as a cast iron skillet) to
press out the liquid.
3. Once the oven is preheated, dice tofu into 1/4-inch cubes and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 26-30 minutes. You’re
looking for golden brown edges and a texture that’s firm to the touch. The longer it bakes, the firmer and crispier it will
become, so if you’re looking for softer tofu remove from the oven around the 26-28 minute mark. I prefer crispy tofu, so
I bake mine the full 30 minutes. Set aside.
4. While the tofu bakes prepare your rice by bringing 12 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling, add rinsed rice
and stir. Boil on high uncovered for 30 minutes, then strain for 10 seconds and return to pot removed from the heat.
Cover with a lid and let steam for 10 minutes*.
5. While rice and tofu are cooking, prepare sauce by adding all ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl and whisking to
combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more tamari or soy for saltiness, peanut butter for creaminess,
brown sugar for sweetness, or chili garlic sauce for heat.
6. Once the tofu is done baking, add directly to the sauce and marinate for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Heat a large metal or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, use a slotted spoon to scoop the tofu into the pan
leaving most of the sauce behind. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown on all sides (see
photo). Lower heat if browning too quickly. Remove from pan and set aside.
8. To the still hot pan add garlic, green onion, peas and carrots. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season
with 1 Tbsp (15 ml) tamari or soy sauce (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
9. Add cooked rice, tofu, and remaining sauce and stir. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
10. Serve immediately with extra chili garlic sauce or sriracha for heat (optional). Crushed salted, roasted peanuts or
cashews make a lovely additional garnish. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, though best when fresh.
Reheat in a skillet over medium heat or in the microwave.
*If you don't like tofu, you can sub 1 cup fresh or frozen edamame - add in with vegetables.
*For the rice, you can also substitute a comparable amount of quinoa.
*Rice cooking method from Saveur! Literally, the perfect brown rice.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 4)
Calories: 290 Fat: 5.8g Saturated fat: 1.1g Sodium: 750mg Carbohydrates: 49.6g Fiber: 4.4g
Sugar: 7.8g Protein: 11.7g
Poor Man's Rev Hyper Option
CrossFit Games have been on. I love watching these freaks! https://games.crossfit.com
What about preworkouts? http://www.supplementsnoop.com/preworkouts.html
More BFR news that is just impressive for longevity, muscle growth AND strength at ALL AGES!
STAY ENGAGED! Fill out workouts, send video as necessary, read emails. RIGHT CLICKING will let you INSERT COMMENTS that you can leave me in your spreadsheets. Email me when you have questions. THIS IS A PARTNERSHIP. You ultimately get more from the experience when you are invested. Anyone can make up numbers for a workout. YOU WANTED MORE which is why you came to me. Want to repeat where you are...then keep doing what you have been doing. ;)
Vic and Tyler are competing this weekend. Dane is coming up this next weekend. Wishing you all well and safe competing.
Do you have needs and concerns? Use Signal, email and the spreadsheets to let me know. Messaging on Instagram isn't a guarantee I will see and not the best way to document our contact.
Looking for competitions?
Super League http://superleague.global/resources/index.html
Spartan Race https://www.spartan.com/en/race/find-race
Tough Mudder https://toughmudder.com/events/find-an-event
100% Raw http://rawpowerlifting.com/2018-results/